Universal Media Inc (“The Tribune Papers”) owns and operates digital products including: www.tribpapers.com and other websites; newsletters and other content we deliver via email; social media pages; and The Tribune Papers iOS mobile app (collectively, the “Sites”).
Please note that our Sites are under constant development. This Agreement may therefore be modified and updated on an ongoing basis. Please check back to this page regularly.
Access to the Sites is provided free of charge (although some content may be only be available to paying subscribers). For the tribpapers.com specifically, readers may access set number of articles (subject to change) free of charge; access to additional articles requires a subscription. Subscribers enrolled in the automatic subscription renewal program can opt out or cancel their subscription at any time by contacting our Customer Care team at email@example.com or calling (855) 940-0585. For cancelled subscriptions, The Tribune Papers will issue a full refund on the remaining subscription.
Access to the Sites (including tribpapers.com) does not create a professional services relationship or any other relationship with The Tribune Papers. The Sites are provided solely for your personal, non-commercial use.
You may not develop or derive for commercial sale any data in machine-readable or other form that incorporates or uses any substantial part of the Sites nor transfer to or store any data residing or exchanged over the Sites in any electronic network for use by more than one user unless you obtain prior written permission from The Tribune Papers. Specifically, unless explicitly authorized in these Terms & Conditions or by the owner of the materials, you may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit, translate, sell, create derivative works, exploit, or distribute in any manner or medium any material from the Sites. For more information about requesting permission to reproduce or distribute materials from the Sites, click here.
Access to and Use of iOS App
If you download our iOS App (the “Atlantic App”), we grant you a personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license to install The Tribune Papers App solely on the devices you will use to access the Services. You agree that we may provide you from time to time with automatic upgrades of The Tribune Papers App, which you will accept for installation. Please note that Apple App Store has separate sales terms that will be binding on you if you elect to download The Tribune Papers App from that Apple App Store.
For users in the United States, The Tribune Papers App is a “commercial item,” as that term is defined in 48 C.F.R. 2.101, consisting of “commercial computer software” and “commercial computer software documentation,” as such terms are used in 48 C.F.R. 12.212. Consistent with 48 C.F.R. 12.212 and 48 C.F.R. 227.7202-1 through 227.7202-4, all U.S. Government end users acquire The Tribune Papers App with only those rights set forth herein. Your use of The Tribune Papers App must comply with all applicable import and export control laws and regulations of the United States and other countries.
Account Credentials and Security
Use of some of our services, including registration for an account and/or subscription for tribpapers.com, requires the creation of an online account log-in and password (the “Credentials”). You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your Credentials, and you are solely responsible for all activities that occur during use of your account. You agree to immediately change your password and notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you suspect or become aware of any unauthorized use of your Credentials or any other breach of security related to the Services. We reserve the right to require you to alter your Credentials if we believe that they are no longer secure. You agree that we will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to adequately safeguard your Credentials.
The Tribune Papers and the Sites, and all other text and images contained on the Sites and in The Tribune Papers’s products are protected by United States trademark and copyright law and other applicable law and are the property of The Tribune Papers, except as otherwise identified. All copyrights and trademarks not the property of The Tribune Papers that are used or referred to in the Sites and The Tribune Papers’s products are the property of their respective owners. Nothing contained in the Sites or other products shall be construed as granting any license or other rights to any copyright, trademark, patent or other property of The Tribune Papers or any third party, whether by implication, laches, estoppel or explicit grant. Because the content is proprietary, any unauthorized use of materials on the Sites or other products may violate the law. If you are a copyright owner and believe infringing material is present on any of the Sites, please refer to the procedures outlined below in the section titled “The Tribune Papers Sites DMCA Copyright Infringement Claim Policy.”
The Tribune Papers’s products, including third party and licensed materials on the Sites, may not be modified, reproduced, republished, retransmitted, or displayed except for personal use. Any use for a commercial or public purpose requires specific written permission from The Tribune Papers.
User Submission Policy
Some of the Sites may allow users to upload, submit, and/or post images, text, video, profile information, comments, letters to the editor, e-mails, or other data and information (“User Submissions”). By uploading, creating, or submitting User Submissions to or on the Sites, or to The Tribune Papers through any other means:
- You affirm, represent and warrant that you own the right to utilize, to license and to sublicense the User Submissions;
- You grant to The Tribune Papers, and anyone authorized by The Tribune Papers, a non-exclusive, worldwide, paid-up, royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual license, including right of sublicense, to use, copy, assign, display, distribute, perform, reproduce in whole or in part, and modify the User Submissions in any medium or any manner, in whole or part (whether now known or hereafter developed), without any restrictions to you, for the sole intended purpose of the Sites and/or services provided;
- You grant to each user of the Sites a non-exclusive license to access the User Submissions through the Sites and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such User Submissions as permitted through the functionality of the Sites and under this Agreement; and
- You acknowledge and agree that The Tribune Papers may elect, without notice, to distribute or make available the User Submissions via RSS or other automated or programmatic means.
- You acknowledge and agree that User Submissions may be permanently maintained on The Tribune Papers’s servers.
- You acknowledge that The Tribune Papers is not responsible for, and cannot prevent, the publication or use of your User Submissions by any third parties who copied your User Submissions during the time in which it was displayed on the Sites.
For any User Submissions you post that you do not own, you guarantee to us that you have the legal right to post such User Submissions and that it will not violate any law or the rights of any person or entity. IN OTHER WORDS, AND AMONG OTHER THINGS, YOU WILL NOT POST USER SUBMISSIONS ON THE SITES YOU DO NOT OWN WITHOUT PERMISSION OF THE OWNER OF THE USER SUBMISSIONS, INCLUDING WRITTEN, PHOTOGRAPHIC, MUSIC AND VIDEO USER SUBMISSIONS.
Acceptable Use Policy
You are solely responsible for any and all acts and omissions that occur during or relating to your use of the Sites, and you agree not to engage in unacceptable use of the Sites, which includes, without limitation, use of the Sites to:
- Harm or threaten to harm users or members of the general public in any way, or “stalk” or otherwise harass any other person or entity;
- Post or transmit any User Submission that is unlawful, false or misleading, grossly offensive, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, pornographic, libelous, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable;
- Disseminate or transmit “spam,” unsolicited messages, chain letters, any advertisements, solicitations, pyramid schemes, investment opportunities or other unsolicited commercial communication;
- Purchase, sell, or offer to purchase or sell any equity or security or market instrument; provide information designed to manipulate any equity or security or market; or disseminate or transmit any material, non-public information about companies without authorization to do so;
- Collect, use, or store any personally identifiable information about other users, or otherwise violate the personal privacy rights of others;
- Impersonate any person or entity (including a Site agent, user, or moderator), or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- Post any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, or any other form of solicitation except in areas that are expressly designated by the Sites for such purpose;
- Disseminate or transmit any User Submission that infringes or violates any party’s copyright, trademark, trade secret, patent or other proprietary right; or use or distribute third-party information (whether or not protected as a trade secret) in violation of a duty of confidentiality, fiduciary duty, or similar duty;
- Violate any law (whether local, state, national, or international), whether or not intentionally;
- Forge headers or otherwise intentionally disguise the origin of any content or communication; interfere with or disrupt the Sites, or servers or networks connected to the Sites; or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies, or regulations of networks connected to the Sites;
- Make any User Submission related to partisan political campaigning or fundraising.
- Express or imply that any statements you make are endorsed by us;
- Modify, adapt, sub-license, translate, sell, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble any portion of the Sites;
- Obtain, copy, monitor, index or data mine through the use of a robot, spider, any automated device, or any manual process, the
- Sites or the contents (except as expressly permitted by The Tribune Papers);
- Remove any copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights notices contained in the Sites;
- ”Frame” or “mirror” any part of the Sites; or
- Engage in any other activity deemed by The Tribune Papers to be in conflict with the spirit or intent of this agreement or that might violate the rights of others or give rise to liability.
- You understand that by using the Sites, you may be exposed to content that may offend you or challenge your beliefs. Your remedy is to avoid such content by discontinuing your access.
Content and Non-Endorsement
Opinions and other statements expressed by users and third parties are theirs alone, not opinions of The Tribune Papers. Content created by third parties is the sole responsibility of the third parties and its accuracy and completeness are not endorsed or guaranteed. The Sites and third parties may provide links to web pages, web sites, and various resources or locations on the web. The Tribune Papers has no control over the information you access via such links, does not endorse that information, and shall not be responsible for it or for the consequences of your use of that information.
Use of RSS Feeds
Some of the Sites may provide an RSS feed (the “Feeds”). Individuals may use the Feeds free of charge for their personal, non-commercial use only. When using the tribpapers.com feeds, we ask that you provide attribution to tribpapers.com including at a minimum a linked logo, a link that returns to the original URL and that you set the canonical tag to The Tribune Papers. The Tribune Papers reserves the right to disable, to change, or to cease distribution of Feeds at any time, and reserves the right to require individuals to cease any and all use of the Feeds at any time for any reason. To request permission to make commercial use of the Feeds, please contact us at email@example.com. The Tribune Papers will consider such submitted requests, but is not obligated to grant any specific permission request.
Use of Associated Press Materials
Some of the material available on the Sites is provided by the Associated Press. By using the Sites you agree and acknowledge that (1) you will not publish, broadcast, or rewrite for broadcast or publication, or redistribute directly or indirectly in any medium any Associated Press text, photo, graphic, audio, and/or video material, and (2) no Associated Press materials nor any portion thereof may be stored in a computer except for personal and non-commercial use. The Associated Press will not be held liable for any delays, inaccuracies, errors or omissions in its materials or in the transmission or delivery of all or any part of its materials, or for any damages arising from any of the foregoing. In addition to those set forth in this paragraph, the Associated Press may impose other terms and conditions on the use of its materials.
The Tribune Papers may post employment opportunities on the Sites and/or invite users to submit resumes to it. If you choose to submit your name, contact information, resume and/or other personal information to The Tribune Papers in response to employment listings, you are authorizing The Tribune Papers and its service providers to utilize this information for all lawful and legitimate hiring and employment purposes. The Tribune Papers also reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to forward the information you submit to its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, vendors and service providers for legitimate business purposes. Nothing in this Agreement or contained in the Sites shall constitute a promise by The Tribune Papers to interview, hire or employ any individual who submits information to it, nor shall anything in this Agreement or contained in the Sites constitute a promise that The Tribune Papers will review any or all of the information submitted to it by users.
The Tribune Papers Sites DMCA Copyright Infringement Claim Policy
The Tribune Papers respects the intellectual property of others, and requires that our users do the same. You may not upload, embed, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any material that infringes any copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret or other proprietary rights of any person or entity. The Tribune Papers has the right to prohibit infringers from using our Sites.
If you believe your work has been copied and posted on or through the Sites in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please send The Tribune Papers’s Copyright Agent a notification of claimed infringement with all of the following information:
- (a) identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works;
- (b) identification of the claimed infringing material and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material on the Sites (providing the URL(s) of the claimed infringing material satisfies this requirement);
- (c) information reasonably sufficient to permit us to contact you, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an email address;
- (d) a statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;
- (e) a statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notification is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner’s behalf; and
- (f) your physical or electronic signature.
The Tribune Papers’s Copyright Agent for notification of claimed infringement can be reached as follows: Copyright Inquiries, Universal Media, Inc., 454 Crowfields Drive, Asheville, NC 28803, (828) 674-9103, DMCA@tribpapers.com.
Upon receipt of a Notification of Copyright Infringement from a copyright owner that contains the required information described in (a) through (f) above, The Tribune Papers will notify the user, if known, of the alleged infringement and remove or disable access to the material that is alleged to be infringing if hosted on the Sites. No personal user information is shared with the copyright owner unless required by law.
If The Tribune Papers receives more than one Notice of Copyright Infringement concerning a user, the user may be deemed a “repeat copyright infringer.” The Tribune Papers reserves the right to terminate the accounts of “repeat copyright infringers.”
Procedure to File a DMCA Counter-Claim
If you have received a notice of copyright infringement and you believe that a copyright holder has accused you in error, you may file a DMCA Counter-Claim with The Tribune Papers’s designated agent.
To be effective, a Counter-Claim must be a written communication provided to The Tribune Papers’s designated agent and must include the following information:
- (a) A physical or electronic signature of the user;
- (b) Identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or access to it was disabled;
- (c) A statement under penalty of perjury that the user has a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled; and
- (d) The user’s name, address and telephone number, and a statement that the subscriber consents to the jurisdiction of Federal District Court for the judicial district in which the address is located, or if the user’s address is outside of the United States, for any judicial district in which the service provider may be found, and that the user will accept service of process from the person who provided notification or an agent of such person.
Upon receipt of a DMCA Counter-Claim, The Tribune Papers will provide the complaining party with a copy of the DMCA Counter-Claim. When The Tribune Papers receives a Counter-Claim that meets the requirements of the DMCA, The Tribune Papers will process the Counter-Claim in accordance with the requirements of the DMCA.
Limitation of Liability and Us
The Tribune Papers has worked to ensure the accuracy of the information it provides through its products and services, including through the Sites. This information frequently relies on data obtained from many sources, however, and The Tribune Papers cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information provided or any analysis based thereon.
YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT THE USE OF The Tribune Papers’S PRODUCTS AND SERVICES, INCLUDING THE SITES, IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. SUCH PRODUCTS AND SERVICES ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” BASIS AND The Tribune Papers MAKES NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, AND DISCLAIMS ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. The Tribune Papers DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTY THAT THE SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, SECURE OR ERROR FREE. NO ADVICE, OPINION OR OTHER INFORMATION OBTAINED THROUGH THE SITES OR FROM The Tribune Papers, ORALLY OR IN ANY MEDIA, SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY FROM The Tribune Papers NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THIS AGREEMENT.
EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE STATED, The Tribune Papers MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION REGARDING OF CONFIDENTIALITY OF ANY COMMUNICATION OR INFORMATION TRANSMITTED ON THIS SITES OR ANY WEBSITE LINKED TO THE SITES. YOU AGREE THAT NEITHER The Tribune Papers, NOR ANY OTHER PROVIDERS OF PRODUCTS OR SERVICES RELATED TO THE SITES, ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONFIDENTIALITY OF ANY INFORMATION, (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION CREDIT CARD INFORMATION, PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION, INCLUDING EMAIL ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBER, ETC.), AND NEITHER The Tribune Papers NOR ANY OTHER PROVIDERS OF PRODUCTS OR SERVICES RELATED TO THE SITES ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES THAT MAY ARISE FROM DISCLOSURE OF SUCH INFORMATION.
The Tribune Papers AND ITS DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, CONSULTANTS, AGENTS AND OTHER REPRESENTATIVES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE OR OTHER DAMAGES, INCLUDING LOST PROFITS OR COSTS OR ATTORNEY’S FEES, UNDER ANY LEGAL THEORY INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO BREACH OF CONTRACT, BREACH OF WARRANTY, NEGLIGENCE, OR STRICT LIABILITY, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER The Tribune Papers MONTHLY WAS INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
IN STATES THAT DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF CERTAIN CATEGORIES OF DAMAGES, The Tribune Papers’S LIABILITY, AND THAT OF ITS SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES OR PARENTS AND THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, REPRESENTATIVES, BUSINESS PARTNERS, INFORMATION PROVIDERS AND LICENSORS AND THEIR RESPECTIVE HEIRS AND ASSIGNS IS LIMITED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT ALLOWED BY SUCH STATES’ LAWS.
The Tribune Papers assumes no responsibility or liability arising from the content of the Sites nor for any error, defamation, libel, slander, omission, falsehood, obscenity, pornography, profanity, danger or inaccuracy contained in any information within the Sites or accessed through the Sites. The Tribune Papers also does not warrant that the functions or informational materials contained in or accessed or downloaded through our Sites are free of computer viruses or other harmful components. In addition, although we make a good faith effort to update the content of our Sites periodically, we do not have a duty to update information contained in our Sites, and we will not be liable for any failure to update such information.
The Sites make no representation that information content provided on Sites is applicable or appropriate for use in locations outside the United States. You agree to comply with all applicable laws and local rules regarding the transmission of technical data, acceptable contents and online conduct.
You agree to indemnify, defend and hold The Tribune Papers, its affiliates, licensors, suppliers, advertisers and sponsors, and its and their directors, officers, employees, consultants, agents and other representatives, harmless from and against any and all claims, damages, losses, costs (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) and other expenses that arise directly or indirectly out of or from (a) your breach of this agreement, including any violation of these Terms & Conditions; (b) any allegation that any User Submissions infringe or otherwise violate the copyright, trademark, trade secret or other intellectual property or other rights of any third party; and/or (c) your activities in connection with the Sites.
Special Agreement on Fee-Shifting and Choice of Law
If you attempt to bring any legal action against The Tribune Papers based in any way on its products or services, including the Sites, you agree that, in the event you do not prevail or The Tribune Papers does prevail, you will reimburse The Tribune Papers for any costs and attorneys fees associated with their defense of the action.
The use of the Sites and any claim or dispute relating to the Sites shall be governed by the laws of the District of Columbia, without regard to its conflicts of law principles. Exclusive venue for any claim shall be in the state and federal courts located in the District of Columbia. Use of the Sites is unauthorized in any jurisdiction that does not affect all provisions of these Terms & Conditions, including without limitation this paragraph.
If any provision or portion of these Terms & Conditions is held in whole or in part to be unenforceable for any reason, the remainder of that provision and of the entire agreement will be severable and will remain in effect, to the fullest degree consistent with the intent of this document.